Wednesday, June 19, 2013

And so it begins ...

We officially began IVF#2 last month by taking the birth control pill again.

Currently I am on day 4 of the second cycle of the process, meaning that I have done 3 days of morning drives to Markham for blood work.  I am not nearly as exhausted as I thought I would be and it's actually nice this time to drive in daylight!

So far the medication doses have been the same as last time.  150iu puregon + 75iu menopur per day to stimulate multiple follicles to grow eggs.  In a few days I will begin having daily ultrasounds as well as adding an orgalutran injection each day to prevent ovulation.

Hopefully we will have another successful egg retrieval with embryos to transfer.  I have already been warned that since my ovaries did not co-operate on my baseline ultrasound there is a good chance they will have to do at least part of the egg retrieval through my abdomen which comes with higher risks.  This is what was done for part of the retrieval last time.

I have been asked if I am excited about doing this again.  The short answer is no.  I am excited that we could have another child after it, but guarded in my excitement as there is no guarantee.  Additionally I think the miscarriage has made me more fearful of a negative outcome.  It still hurts everyday that we lost our baby.    We've been through so much to get where we are it just doesn't seem right that we had to experience that too.

I just hope this cycle goes well and we are as fortunate as we were in IVF#1.  I think if we see that positive test and a heartbeat on ultrasound I might be able to be a little more excited.


No comments: