Monday, March 31, 2014

Elliott has arrived!

Contractions started at about 1am.  By 2am I was timing them and they were coming 2-3 mins apart, but not strong enough.  Throughout the morning they were getting stronger but lasting from 2-15 mins each with no consistency.  Took a walk around the block, but did not help.

Called our clinic and was told to go to L&D for assessment.  L&D examined me and I was 4-5cm, but still long and not contracting well enough.  They sent me to lunch and for a previously scheduled growth ultrasound and then I returned to L&D for reassessment.  At that time the contractions were getting stronger, but still not consistent.  I was still 4-5cm with a bulging water bag so my dr decided to break my water around 2:45pm and see what happened.

I was moved to a delivery room to labour at that time.  Shortly there after I was measured at 6cm so decided to labour in the tub.  Was informed that if I didn't start making progress they would be adding pitocin and since I have been down that road before I knew I would need an epidural to go with it.  After some time I was feeling more pressure and pain so requested an epidural and got out of the tub at 7pm.  Still only 6cm.

Took WAY too long for epidural to arrive, close to 9:30pm before he arrived and I was in a ton of pain.  Epidural was inserted, but didn't seem to be effective, and after about 35 mins they were concerned they may have to adjust it or replace it.  Finally with a couple extra shots it took effect.

Not long after I could feel lots more pressure and a small "pop" which seemed that the baby had moved into the birth canal.  I called for the nurse who hadn't had time to get the catheter in yet and told her she better do it sooner rather than later.  She struggled to get it in as the baby's head was in fact right there.

Dr arrived immediately, and baby was already presenting without pushing.  4 pushes later and he was placed on my chest at 10:22pm.  Slight tearing, but no where near the damage done by my daughter who was much smaller.

Baby Elliott looks so much like his sister did when she was born.  So far has been doing great.  We did try to breast feed without success so he too will be formula fed which I am ok with as this also gives Matt a chance to feed him.  A great bonus this time is that he is a great napper and will actually nap without being held, something Arabella refused to do until she was at least 6 months old.

Ari has adapted better than we could have expected.  She loves her baby brother, is always hugging and kissing him, and looks to help whenever she can.  

Looking forward to a year off to bond with baby #2.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Again, another long overdue update

So just when we put the whole Down Syndrome situation behind us .... wham ... we get more news to stress about.

Baby has been very active, much more so than Ari was.  Additionally, I had already put on as much weight this pregnancy as I did the entire time last time.  Not good really.  This means that the baby will likely be bigger than Ari was.  So my Dr arranged for an ultrasound to find out how big he is getting.

It turns out baby is already 4lbs 1oz which is larger than average, but not crazy big.  There is also an increase in the fluid surrounding the baby, but again not abnormally high.  The Dr did note however that there is currently an issue with the baby's one kidney.  I can't remember the actual words he used, but to me it implied that more urine was being directed to one kidney and there was more urine present in that kidney than normal.  He is recommending they do an ultrasound of the baby after it's born to determine if there is an issue.  He said often it's not a problem.  Unfortunately I won't have any more info until I see my Dr later this month.

Everything I have read online generally has 1 of 3 outcomes ... 1 - it resolves before birth with no long term effect, 2 - it resolves on it's own as baby grows in the first year, 3 - requires surgery to correct.  It would seem though that it would be very rare for it to cause any serious long term effects although we won't know more until baby is born.

So once again I am worried.  My first concern was that it was an indicator of Downs again.  Although from what info I can find DS babies can have kidney issues, but a kidney issue is not a marker for DS, so I am hoping it's just a coincidence.

Ari was our miracle baby because we never thought we would have kids, this little guy will be our second miracle baby as he has already overcome so much to make it into this world.

3D ultrasound

We finally got to see our little guy again just before Christmas when we went for a 3D ultrasound.  We enjoyed it so much with Ari, there wasn't any way we were going to miss it this time.

Unfortunately our guy is a little shy and was turned towards my back making it difficult to get really clear pics.  He actually was covering his face quite a lot of the time.

Ari was great for it, and even recognized that it was a baby from the video.  Hopefully this will help it seem more real for her.

Just realized that I haven't saved the pics on my PC yet, so I guess I will have to post those later =(

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Long overdue update

Wow, has it really been 2 months??  Time sure flies in our house.  The average day is pretty much the same, get up, drop Ari at daycare, work, pick Ari up, eat, bed for both of us at 8pm.  Doesn't leave a lot of time for recreational activities.  My days off have been busy with appointments mainly.

So our 12 week scan went well, baby had grown right on target!  It was also the first time we got to hear the heart beat.  Always an amazing thing to hear!  Up until this point they would show us the heart beating on the ultrasounds, but hearing it makes it so much better!

I also had blood work done at my 12 week scan and then again at 16 weeks for the Integrated Prenatal Screening test (IPS), which basically tells us compared to the average pregnancy for a woman my age, how this one rates statistcally for issues such as spine abifita, down syndrome, etc.  Since I am considered "advanced maternal age" this is standard testing.

Not long after the second blood test at 16 weeks I received a call from my fertility office, with the secretary wanting to put me immediately through to my fertility specialist.  Ok, first he NEVER calls, his time is very valuable and he has "people" to do that.  So right away I knew something was up with my IPS test.  His first words "don't panic", mine "too late, I know you don't make calls to patients routinely".

He went on to explain that one of the test came back with a higher chance of this baby having down syndrome than the norm.  The normal for a woman my age is 1/220, our risk 1/120.  Now, all this really means is that there is less than 1% chance the baby has down syndrome.  But they are obligated to explain this, the impact down syndrome could have on the child and offer us an amniocentesis, basically a large needle inserted into the amniotic sac and remove fluid which they can then determine any chromosomal abnormalities.  This doesn't come without risk though, although we would know 100% whether the baby has down syndrome, or any other chromosome problems, there is also a risk of 1/200 of miscarriage which is technically less than the risk of down syndrome at this point and why they have to offer it.

Long ago when we first started talking having children, we knew that being older presented a problem like this, but had decided at that time that we would not take the risk of an amnio, we would accept whatever child we are blessed with and make whatever accomodations required if there were issues.  So I knew I could safely tell our dr that it was out of the question.  He was ok with this, his impression is it's a false positive (very common) as the 12 week scan looked great, he was able to see the nasal bone (often not seen in a downs baby) but did recommend a trip to North York General Hospital to meet with a genetics counsellor to discuss options and gain more insight as to what tests could be done.

I suspected it would take weeks to get in, so was totally shocked to find out the appointment was 2 days later, wow they don't waste time!  I guess because there are those that may choose amnio and if positive end the pregnancy, which I understand, each situation is different.  My concern is that even if the baby has it, the test can't tell me how severe the impact is on the child.

So we went to see the counsellor.  She was great, but I did have the sense, even though my dr assured me no one would pressure me to have the amnio, that she was trying to scare me into having it.  In the end it comes to us having 3 options: 1, do nothing and wait until baby is born to see if there are any characteristics that would indicate it should be tested, 2, amnio, results 100% accurate and available with 2-3 days, or 3, a new test in Ontario (been in the US for awhile) called the harmony test which is 98% accurate but if it came back positive they would still want amnio for confirmation ... oh, and it's not covered under OHIP, so $800 to do this.

After discussing it between us and family we determined that it wouldn't impact our decision either way, and there was no reason to spend that kind of money to find out.  The scan at 20 weeks will look at the heart and see if there are any heart abnormalities (common in 50% of down syndrome births) so we would at least be prepared at birth if there was a heart issue, and would give us a better idea if baby does in fact have it.

For now, we still firmly believe that this baby does not have it, really there is a 99% change we are right.  If the baby does, it doesn't change anything, it's still our child, we will love it as much as we love Arabella, and raise it just the same, perhaps with a little different approach and assistance.

So where are we now ... almost 20 weeks!!  Our scan is Tuesday, where we will hopefully find out the gender, if this baby co-operates.  We are excited to tell Arabella whether she is going to have a little brother or little sister.  She is excited and wants to know when the baby is coming ... still a ways off yet!  She loved going to the doctors the other day to hear the heart beat and I think that made it a little more real for her.

So a bit of stress, nothing new for this pregnancy, but we will put this behind us and prepare for the birth of a happy, healthy baby in March!

Friday, August 23, 2013

recap of the last few weeks

So our ultrasound on Aug 6th went well.  Baby's heartbeat was strong at 166 and measuring right on track.  Our due date based on the ultrasound is March 19th.  It was wonderful to see the heart beat =)  I only wish we had been able to hear it.


My morning sickness kicked in with full force right around 8 weeks so I made a trip to my local clinic and got the diclectin again.  Took a couple of days but feeling much better.  If only my post nasal drip would piss off as it seems to make me sick regardless of the meds.  Only been over the bowl once, so doing pretty good.

Now the drama ...

It started on Saturday last weekend, at work I went to the bathroom to find I was bleeding, not a good sign and at almost the same stage (9 weeks) as when we lost our last baby.  A quick call to the on call doctor for my pregnancy clinic revealed what I already knew.  It could be something that will pass, or it could be the start of something bad that I don't want to think about.  Either way there really isn't much that can be done, if I was to be starting to miscarry, then at 9 weeks there would be no way to stop it.  Fortunately my doctor sensed my stress and ordered an ultrasound to be preformed at the hospital on Sunday.

It was a stressful night, but Sunday morning revealed that baby was still there, moving, heart beat and measuring right on track.  It was determined I had a "small" clot behind the placenta, generally caused by the placenta separating from the uterine wall, the bleeding of the tear and my body trying to reabsorb the clot was causing the bleeding.  There is no treatment, rest and no lifting can help reduce the stress on the uterus and let it heal.  It is something that will need to be monitored and hopefully resolve by 20 weeks.  Ok, not great news, but baby is good and we can manage it, I will take that.

Flash to Tuesday, I wake up to a sudden gush and pass a clot the size of half my fist ... definitely not small!  I was sure things were coming to an end.  Another panicked call to the clinic and I had an ultrasound scheduled for that morning.  Matt and Ari came with me as I was certain it was bad news.  Fortunately baby was still hanging in there and had a strong heart beat once again.  So what gives??  I guess the clot tore off and was expelled.  This is generally good as now it can heal.  The down side, we have to wait another week for another ultrasound to see if the baby is growing on track as these tears to the placenta can cause the baby to not get enough nourishment..

So we wait, again, and hope for the best.  At this point we take 1 day at a time.  Things could remain stable and have no further issue, or we could miscarry at any time.  If the pregnancy continues, then we have to start watching for other complications ... placental abruption, early rupture of membranes, in-utero growth restriction.  All could lead to losing the baby if they happened before the baby would be able to survive outside the womb.

We're trying to stay positive that things will work out.  Not being able to lift heavy items is a source of stress for me right now as I'm not even supposed to lift Ari.  She doesn't understand what is going on and why mommy can't hold her as much.

I pray that baby is still strong and growing right on target, it will at least give us hope that the damage done by all of this may not be too severe.

Monday, July 15, 2013

and the verdict is ...

POSITIVE!

Ok, so I knew on Thursday, but wanted to make sure.  My level came back much higher this time than last so we are hoping this pregnancy will be viable.

I still have to book my ultrasound for 3 weeks from now to verify a heartbeat.  If we see one I will probably feel a bit better about things.  Right now still very nervous.

Tentative due date is March 20-23.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Final Lab update

So the lab called today.

The 4 they had planned on freezing did make the grade and were frozen successfully.  The final one did not meet the freezing criteria and was discarded.

3 were hatching blastocysts and 1 was an expanding blastocyst, all average quality but good embryos.

Super excited that we have so many on ice, but we along with the Doctor hope we never have to use them!

Embryo Stages for interested readers