Friday, August 23, 2013

recap of the last few weeks

So our ultrasound on Aug 6th went well.  Baby's heartbeat was strong at 166 and measuring right on track.  Our due date based on the ultrasound is March 19th.  It was wonderful to see the heart beat =)  I only wish we had been able to hear it.


My morning sickness kicked in with full force right around 8 weeks so I made a trip to my local clinic and got the diclectin again.  Took a couple of days but feeling much better.  If only my post nasal drip would piss off as it seems to make me sick regardless of the meds.  Only been over the bowl once, so doing pretty good.

Now the drama ...

It started on Saturday last weekend, at work I went to the bathroom to find I was bleeding, not a good sign and at almost the same stage (9 weeks) as when we lost our last baby.  A quick call to the on call doctor for my pregnancy clinic revealed what I already knew.  It could be something that will pass, or it could be the start of something bad that I don't want to think about.  Either way there really isn't much that can be done, if I was to be starting to miscarry, then at 9 weeks there would be no way to stop it.  Fortunately my doctor sensed my stress and ordered an ultrasound to be preformed at the hospital on Sunday.

It was a stressful night, but Sunday morning revealed that baby was still there, moving, heart beat and measuring right on track.  It was determined I had a "small" clot behind the placenta, generally caused by the placenta separating from the uterine wall, the bleeding of the tear and my body trying to reabsorb the clot was causing the bleeding.  There is no treatment, rest and no lifting can help reduce the stress on the uterus and let it heal.  It is something that will need to be monitored and hopefully resolve by 20 weeks.  Ok, not great news, but baby is good and we can manage it, I will take that.

Flash to Tuesday, I wake up to a sudden gush and pass a clot the size of half my fist ... definitely not small!  I was sure things were coming to an end.  Another panicked call to the clinic and I had an ultrasound scheduled for that morning.  Matt and Ari came with me as I was certain it was bad news.  Fortunately baby was still hanging in there and had a strong heart beat once again.  So what gives??  I guess the clot tore off and was expelled.  This is generally good as now it can heal.  The down side, we have to wait another week for another ultrasound to see if the baby is growing on track as these tears to the placenta can cause the baby to not get enough nourishment..

So we wait, again, and hope for the best.  At this point we take 1 day at a time.  Things could remain stable and have no further issue, or we could miscarry at any time.  If the pregnancy continues, then we have to start watching for other complications ... placental abruption, early rupture of membranes, in-utero growth restriction.  All could lead to losing the baby if they happened before the baby would be able to survive outside the womb.

We're trying to stay positive that things will work out.  Not being able to lift heavy items is a source of stress for me right now as I'm not even supposed to lift Ari.  She doesn't understand what is going on and why mommy can't hold her as much.

I pray that baby is still strong and growing right on target, it will at least give us hope that the damage done by all of this may not be too severe.

No comments: