Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ottawa: Day 1

Ok, so our trip is in full swing. We left for Ottawa Tuesday morning for a 3 day sightseeing vacation.

My first comment ... the Transcanada Highway is a disgrace and in desperate need of repaving, which conveniently they are in the process of doing, which slowed us down a little in areas. We did however manage to make it in 3 hours, and not the 3 hours 39 minutes as stated by Mapquest, but what's 39 minutes anyways?

Upon arriving, we took the "scenic route" down by the river and past Parliament Hill, interesting, but frankly, since I am the taxi driver, it's a little hard to site see and drive, without hitting someone/something that is.

We grabbed lunch and Pizza Hut, interesting, it was a full service takeout which had a few tables where they actually bring the food like a sit down restaurant. I was confused.

We then hit the closest mall, as our hotel check-in wasn't until 3pm. The mall has a Games Workshop, which is why it was on our predetermined sites to hit map. Nice store, well informed sales people, and hubby was in his glory, me ... bored to tears.

Checked in to the hotel, which is undergoing some renovation in the underground parking, but other than that, it's actually pretty awesome for the bargain basement price of $99/night. Hotels here are expensive (well, at least to me they are) Got this deal through Ottawa Tourism to stay at the Best Western Victoria Park Suites. Nice room, best hotel bed I have ever slept on! Love the fact that we have a fridge, microwave, and free wireless internet. Only complaints ... the air con is obnoxiously loud, and I can hear the guy upstairs pee.

Spent the evening at 2 IMAX movies at the Canadian Museum of Civilization. We saw Roving Mars, a Disney production about the mars rovers. We also saw Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure, about prehistoric se monsters. Both were very good. I remember going to this IMAX back in 1990 or 1991 when I was here on a family trip, and had forgot how steep the seating was, kinda made me a little sick actually. Thankfully the seats recline at this theatre, which seemed to help.

Retired to the hotel with Subway for supper, the tv channels suck, so we were glad we spent the better part of the night at the theatre.

Miss my babies, but having a good time. Off to the Aviation museum and Science and Technology museum on Wednesday. Better charge the camera!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being able to hear the guys upstairs urinating is a cheap substitute for soothing beach noises.

Cec said...

LOL, I never thought about it that way ... glad I didn't pay for the trip to Dominican Republic!