So just when we put the whole Down Syndrome situation behind us .... wham ... we get more news to stress about.
Baby has been very active, much more so than Ari was. Additionally, I had already put on as much weight this pregnancy as I did the entire time last time. Not good really. This means that the baby will likely be bigger than Ari was. So my Dr arranged for an ultrasound to find out how big he is getting.
It turns out baby is already 4lbs 1oz which is larger than average, but not crazy big. There is also an increase in the fluid surrounding the baby, but again not abnormally high. The Dr did note however that there is currently an issue with the baby's one kidney. I can't remember the actual words he used, but to me it implied that more urine was being directed to one kidney and there was more urine present in that kidney than normal. He is recommending they do an ultrasound of the baby after it's born to determine if there is an issue. He said often it's not a problem. Unfortunately I won't have any more info until I see my Dr later this month.
Everything I have read online generally has 1 of 3 outcomes ... 1 - it resolves before birth with no long term effect, 2 - it resolves on it's own as baby grows in the first year, 3 - requires surgery to correct. It would seem though that it would be very rare for it to cause any serious long term effects although we won't know more until baby is born.
So once again I am worried. My first concern was that it was an indicator of Downs again. Although from what info I can find DS babies can have kidney issues, but a kidney issue is not a marker for DS, so I am hoping it's just a coincidence.
Ari was our miracle baby because we never thought we would have kids, this little guy will be our second miracle baby as he has already overcome so much to make it into this world.
the best laid plans
3 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment