Called our clinic and was told to go to L&D for assessment. L&D examined me and I was 4-5cm, but still long and not contracting well enough. They sent me to lunch and for a previously scheduled growth ultrasound and then I returned to L&D for reassessment. At that time the contractions were getting stronger, but still not consistent. I was still 4-5cm with a bulging water bag so my dr decided to break my water around 2:45pm and see what happened.
I was moved to a delivery room to labour at that time. Shortly there after I was measured at 6cm so decided to labour in the tub. Was informed that if I didn't start making progress they would be adding pitocin and since I have been down that road before I knew I would need an epidural to go with it. After some time I was feeling more pressure and pain so requested an epidural and got out of the tub at 7pm. Still only 6cm.
Took WAY too long for epidural to arrive, close to 9:30pm before he arrived and I was in a ton of pain. Epidural was inserted, but didn't seem to be effective, and after about 35 mins they were concerned they may have to adjust it or replace it. Finally with a couple extra shots it took effect.
Not long after I could feel lots more pressure and a small "pop" which seemed that the baby had moved into the birth canal. I called for the nurse who hadn't had time to get the catheter in yet and told her she better do it sooner rather than later. She struggled to get it in as the baby's head was in fact right there.
Dr arrived immediately, and baby was already presenting without pushing. 4 pushes later and he was placed on my chest at 10:22pm. Slight tearing, but no where near the damage done by my daughter who was much smaller.
Baby Elliott looks so much like his sister did when she was born. So far has been doing great. We did try to breast feed without success so he too will be formula fed which I am ok with as this also gives Matt a chance to feed him. A great bonus this time is that he is a great napper and will actually nap without being held, something Arabella refused to do until she was at least 6 months old.
Ari has adapted better than we could have expected. She loves her baby brother, is always hugging and kissing him, and looks to help whenever she can.
Looking forward to a year off to bond with baby #2.


No comments:
Post a Comment