Although I was never a fan of the Peter Pan story, I was invited to attend a comedic musical version at the Elgin Theatre and thought that since the tickets were free and it would be an afternoon with my Aunt, I would go and check it out.PETER PAN: The Family Musical that WON'T GROW UP! is being billed obviously as a "family" musical. Perhaps it is because there is no swearing in it, but frankly I would have been a little annoyed if I had taken small children to it because they would definitely miss all of the humour in it, which was mainly political in nature, and a little sexual as well.
The production itself was well done, and actually quite funny. The scene changes where entertaining and I thought that my aunt would piss herself laughing each time the rapping & break-dancing crocodile would come out.
I have to say that Kurt Browning was very good, has great comedic timing and even a good singing voice. The music was really good, and to top it all off Kurt even did some of his skating moves on roller blades on the stage, which I am sure is not an easy feat in such a small area.
It was definitely worth seeing, and I wish it would be around longer so that I would be able to take Matthew to see it as I am sure he would enjoy the humour.
I was very impressed with the theatre as well. I had never been to this one, and was surprised to learn that it is actually 2 theatres stacked on top of each other, both meticulously restored to the original state when built in 1913 & 1914. We had a peak in the door of the Winter Garden theatre (the upper one) before leaving and it was absolutely beautiful. We intend on doing the full tour including back stage sometime in the new year.

In the end it was a wonderful performance!


2 comments:
The Elgin is a nice theatre, unfortunately the last thing I saw there was "Angels in America" which was dated propaganda.
I saw "Into the Woods" too, but I forget if it was a Ross Petty show. He usually manages a good show; I'm kinda sorry I missed his Aladdin with Bret Hart.
Usually the spoken humour is for adults and they have outrageous colours and slapstick for the kids. Were they a little light on the latter?
FYI .. CBC is showing Aladdin on the 13th (Thursday) 8pm.
I guess for the kids is was colourful, and the music entertained them, but if I was a kid, I would need more I think.
Still the little girl next to us had a good time, although her mom took her home at intermission.
Post a Comment