
This past weekend I made the trek to my hometown to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of my highschool. 40 years ago the Meaford District Highschool and Thornbury District Highschool were amalagmaeted and Georgian Bay Secondary School (GBSS) was born. This expanded the boundaries and brought new students into the school. Along with this came construction and renovation of the building all while the students attended classes.

To celebrate there was a reunion held for the 8000+ graduates. Unfortunately, the turn out was not very good, and I attribute this to the lack of communication. I myself had to email one of the co-ordinators several times for information.
I believe this was my first time back to the school since I graduated. Not much has changed and walking through the halls brought back many memories.
The opening ceremonies included the introduction of most of the principals that had been in charge of the school, the finalists from GBSS Idol (who were awesome!) as well as greetings from the Bluewater District School Board and Conservative MP Bill Murdoch. Several graduates also told stories of their experiences at the school.
Several of my former teachers were present and many of the teachers that taught me also taught my parents or are now teaching my youngest sister. Unfortunately I didn't get an opportunity to talk to two of my math teachers because I was feeling a little overwhelmed and shy. I hope they will forgive me.
For me, it was exciting to be able to attend a reunion that my parents and extended family were also able to take part in. Both my parents, all of their siblings, all of my siblings and myself have all attended the same highschool. My mom, aunt, uncle and his wife and myself all attended this reunion.
It was interesting to meet many of my familys' friends and to hear stories from their highschool experience. I remember being told many stories over the years, but being back in the school all together really brought it to life. I do however wish they had brought the ping-pong table out of the staff lounge, like it was when my mom went to school as this was one of her favourite pass times. I blame her generation for the fact that the entire time I was in highschool it was in the staff louge and unavailable to the students so that we wouldn't commit the same crime as our parents ... skipping class to play!
In the evening the "adults" went to the dance at the area while I visited with my dad, mom and sisters since I haven't had much of a chance to see them lately. Dad was "being shy" according to one of his friends I ran into at the reunion earlier and did not attend any of the functions. I wish he had as he doesn't often talk about his highschool days and the only remark he made this weekend was "most people I went to school with are either dead or in jail" ... sounds like an interesting crowd, but I doubt that is really the case! Perhaps he will join us for the 50th reunion.
I was literally the only person there from my class ... again poor communication. So I didn't really have the opportunity to catch up with my classmates, although thanks to Facebook I don't need a reunion to find out what they are doing.
We all had a fantastic weekend and it was great to see that VIKING pride is still alive and well in the halls of GBSS and the hearts of the alumni.


No comments:
Post a Comment