Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A new desk should bring order to our chaos ... right?

The principle behind organization seems to escape me at times. Usually my attempts result in organization in one location, and utter chaos in another. Take for instance our den. Matt found a desk that he wanted for the den quite a while ago, but it was too expense for my liking. I was lucky enough to happen upon Staples when it was reduced by half and purchased it.

Matt diligently cleaned off the old desk, and when I say cleaned, it was more of move all the shit from the desk to various other locations around the second floor. We hauled the old one down and out to the garage, which was no small feat.

Then the construction began. I love to build things, but since getting married I have given into the fact that my husband likes to do the "manly" things and so I left him to do it his way. After a little struggling and lots of work, it was together, and it does look great.

It's all adjustable, and everything related to the computer has a place now, and the damn tower is out of the way FINALLY! Unfortunately the crap that was on the old desk is now still strategically placed throughout the room and the hallway, looking like a dumping ground for all things not being actively used.

I am by no means a "neat freak" as most people would tell you. In fact my idea of cleaning is hide as much as you can before the guests get here, and pray no one shows up unannounced.

But I would love to actually complete a room and not have all the crap overflow into other locations. My next task is the spare room, so when we have guests they don't feel like they are sleeping in a storage locker. I however am a realist and I'm pretty sure that when that room finally gets emtied out, we may actually have to part with some possessions.

It also leads me to consider one last fact ... if I clean up the room where everything gets hidden before guests arrive ... where will I put all the crap that ends up lying around?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the new desk also one of those types that is built for a corner? I just got rid of one of those as they take up more space than they save with shelves.

I won't mention tidiness. You've seen my place.

Cec said...

we had one of those corner units, and you are right, they take up a huge amount of space.

My place would pt yours to shame most days ... I cleaned before you came to visit.

Anonymous said...

So do I.